How to Find Drive and Ambition When You Have None
How to Find Drive and Ambition When You Have NoneDrive and ambition seem to be critical components for success. Most successful people constantly strive to improve themselves, their skills, and their circumstances. A person needs a lot of drive and ambition to keep working when life is hard, or things are not going as expected.
People with no drive are bored by life and easily discouraged by obstacles. They give up easily because they see little point in life’s struggles. They may even try to destroy themselves by abusing drugs or alcohol or spending time watching TV and never accomplish anything of value in their lives.
While these may be extreme cases of zero drive and ambition, we all tend to lose motivation from time to time.
Try these tips to help you regain your motivation and increase your drive:
1. Cultivate a growth mindset. People with a growth mindset believe they can grow over time with effort and practice. On the other hand, people with a fixed mindset think they are stuck with their limitations and unable or unwilling to grow or change through hard work or practice.
- You can cultivate a growth mindset by reading books and articles about successful people and learning about how they overcame obstacles to become successful.
- You can also practice thinking positively about yourself, even when you make mistakes or others criticize you.
- A growth mindset helps boost your motivation by reminding you that you can improve over time through effort and practice.
2. Avoid procrastination. Procrastination is a major cause of low motivation and lack of success for most people. We all have certain tasks we put off because we dread doing them, but procrastination is self-destructive because it robs us of the opportunity to achieve our goals in life.
- To stop procrastinating, write down the tasks you want to complete and rank them from most important to least important. Then tackle the highest priority task and complete it before moving on to the next one until all of your high priority tasks are done for the day.
- If you have difficulty getting started on tasks, set a timer for 20 minutes and use that time to get started on the highest priority task on your list before you move on to another activity.
- When you feel productive throughout the day, you will feel more motivated and less stressed about accomplishing your goals.
Click on the image thumbnail for more details or the Download Now button to purchase.
|Click on Personal Development Ebooks for more!|
3. Trick yourself into thinking you’re motivated. Motivation is a feeling, so it may seem counter-intuitive to create it artificially using tricks like wearing an outfit that makes you feel confident or listening to motivational music before a big meeting at work.
- However, if you think of motivation as a feeling, you may be able to trick yourself into behaving in a way that boosts your motivation and makes you feel more driven and productive.
4. Think of counterarguments for why you’re struggling with motivation. People who lack motivation tend to focus on why they can’t do something instead of all the reasons they can succeed at a task.
- For example, suppose someone feels unmotivated to exercise. In that case, they may tell themselves that they have no energy after work to exercise and shouldn’t bother going to the gym since they don’t enjoy it anyway.
Having drive and ambition is very important for success in life, but most of us struggle to maintain a high level of these attributes.
By cultivating a growth mindset, avoiding procrastination, tricking yourself into being motivated, and thinking about counterarguments for your lack of motivation, you can increase your productivity and start bringing your dreams to life!